Submissions for the 2021 Film Festival are now open!
Our 2021 festival will be hosted by the Ironwood Historic Depot Park from
Thursday, August 26th through Sunday, September 5th.
Filmmakers from around the world are encouraged to submit.
BEST NARRATIVE SHORT
(40 minutes or less)
$500 cash prize, laurel, certificate
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT
(40 minutes or less)
$350 cash prize, laurel, certificate
YOUNG MICHIGAN FILMMAKER AWARD
(Must be 30 years of age or younger, residing/attending an education program in Michigan)
$250 cash prize, laurel, certificate
(The winner will be selected by the Emberlight Board of Directors. All Finalist Films are eligible.)
$150 cash prize, laurel, certificate, 150 volunteer hours
if the recipient decides to return to Ironwood to make a film.
BEST MICRO FILM
(5 minutes or less)
$100 cash prize, laurel, certificate
The following categories will be awarded laurels and certificates and may also be eligible for the categories and cash prizes listed above:
BEST FOREIGN FILM
BEST CINEMATIC WRITING
BEST SOUND DESIGN
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD
INDIGENOUS FILMMAKER AWARD
All Finalist Films will be screened regardless of the filmmaker's attendance and reviewed by three judges.
February 8: Submissions open
April 1: Early bird submission deadline
May 1: Regular submission deadline
June 1: Late deadline
June 25: Extended deadline
July 12: Notification deadline
August 26 - September 5: 2021 Emberlight International Film Festival
September 5: Prize Announcement at Ironwood's First Friday
1. All screeners must be uploaded by the appropriate deadline date at 11:59 CT.
2. We will contact entrants if there's anything wrong with their submission. If this occurs, you will need to fix the submission issue by the requested deadline, otherwise we can't guarantee that your film will be reviewed.
3. Emberlight does not provide refunds for submission fees.
4. We accept all genres and do not rule out anything.
5. We accept submissions from all countries.
6. Once you have submitted your project, you will receive a confirmation email from Emberlight within 48 hours. This email will confirm that your film has been submitted correctly. If you do not receive this email within 48 hours, please follow up by emailing email@example.com to ensure your film has been submitted properly.
1. All films will be reviewed by 2-3 judges who are industry professionals. Emberlight’s judges work remotely and independently to watch, review and rate each film. Judges may nominate films for all award categories. Each judge has an equal vote and no Finalist selections are made outside of this process.
2. Emberlight’s programmers’ decisions are final.
3. Please note that programmers are NOT required to share programming feedback with entrants.
1. Accepted filmmakers will be notified via email, phone or text. Filmmakers must confirm their participation by the given deadline, otherwise they might lose their spot in the line-up.
2. If selected you will not be expected to attend the festival. Please note that Emberlight does not cover travel expenses should you decide to attend.
4. Accepted filmmakers must be the authors of their submitted work and be ready to sign an agreement stating that they own all rights to their film and its components ahead of screening at Emberlight.
5. Finalists are responsible for delivering their festival exhibition copy, trailer, screener link, press stills and press-kit on time.
6. Emberlight does not provide filmmakers with screening fees.
The Emberlight Festival guarantees the following to all accepted artists:
Every film submitted via FilmFreeway will be watched and reviewed by 2 - 3 judges.
All Finalist Films will be selected from the submission pool and not curated/invited. We do not make promises to friends or celebrities.
Finalist Films will be screened in front of a live audience, regardless of the filmmakers ability to attend.